Thursday, May 13, 2010

Picture Perfect - Cuisine

I don't have a photo of the traditional Maori way of cooking, that is called a Hangi and basically consists of cooking food in a covered pit filled with red hot stones...These beauties below were caught by my nephew last Christmas. The spikey things behind them are what we call Kina but are in fact sea urchins and I do believe I can see a few Mussels too Image and video hosting by TinyPicThese creatures are Crayfish they a kin to Lobster. It is said that the correct way to cook these delicately flavoured beauties is to plunge them live into boiling water and boil for 7 minutes (depending on size) the other way is to drown them in fresh water first, then boil etc, etc. Yet another view I heard the other day was to smother them??? When we were kids my grandfather used to send a couple to town for us on the service bus and I kid you not they were humungous compared to what passes for "legal" these days. He would have been sad to see us eating what he would have seen as undersized fish.

No comments: